Even though LASIK has provided millions of people will clear, hassle-free vision, not everyone is a fully qualified candidate. The experienced LASIK surgeons at Boston Laser Center will only recommend LASIK for the very best candidates.
In order to be qualified for LASIK, patients must meet the following requirements:
- Nearsighted, farsighted, or have astigmatism
- Over the age of 18
- Vision has been stable for 2-3 years
- No current eye problems
If you have determined that you meet the above basic LASIK requirements, you can take the Self Evaluation Test to further determine if you are a candidate for laser vision correction. Each set of eyes is unique and that it is why it is extremely important to have your eyes examined by a board-certified ophthalmologist at the Boston Laser Center prior to undergoing a LASIK procedure.
During your LASIK evaluation you will undergo some tests to determine your candidacy including:
- Measurement of corneal thickness
- Complete review of overall eye health
- Measurement of prescription for refractive errors
- Custom LASIK measurement for higher-order aberrations
- Dry eye test
- Dilation of the eye to view the retina
- Glasses and contact lens history review
- Measurement of pupil size
After your eye surgeon has completed the LASIK evaluation exam they will be able to determine if you are a strong candidate for LASIK. If for some reason, you are not a strong LASIK candidate, they may recommend one of the many other possible vision correction offered at Boston Laser.